kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Lidless rack system for Gonyosoma (pic)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by SRX on March 07, 2003 at 15:56:50:

In Reply to: Lidless rack system for Gonyosoma (pic) posted by chris_harper2 on March 07, 2003 at 10:52:38:

Chris,
In regards to the PVC perches, the straight "stick" is pretty much useless with any species, even GTP''s. It rolls/rotates and has no other branches or forks that give snakes support.

I use PVC with ALL of my arboreal snakes, but not just straight across. You can use four "T" joints and make a free-standing "H" with an extra cross bar. This way, the perch is removable and easy to disinfect. If you have skinny species, you can cap off the ends with the corresponding diameter PVC cap. This is a good idea. I had to cap all of my PVC after having to dismantle 4 "double H" configurations with Amethystine pythons woven throughout them...lol!

I use 1/2" PVC perches in the "H" shape with an extra cross bar for smaller boxes/neos-yearlings. I use 3/4" PVC for boxes similar in size to your quarantine boxes in the "H" shape with 2 extra cross bars. With my Amethystines, I use both 1 1/2" and 2" diameter PVC in a standard "double H" shape.

This way you can use these them to lean from the bottom corner of one side of the box to the opposing upper corner(diagonally). It does take a little back and forth measuring between the saw and the box, but after you have the first one done, the rest should be production work.

I'll try and email you a pic or sketch of what I am talking about. My oxycephala and jansens both utilize this type of perch.

Take it easy,
Scott

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]