kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Random wanderigns about melanistic snakes..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by sbogill on January 13, 2003 at 20:21:58:

In Reply to: Thanks for the pics and comments , , ,> posted by terryp on January 13, 2003 at 17:55:03:

I used to know this taxidermist that lived in a town about half an hour drive from where I lived. I used to ride up there with a buddy that collected various DOR snakes and would take them to him to have the skins "professionally" tanned out. Later my friend even had some snakes mounted. Anyway, the taxidermist used to have a small collection of snakes from our locality. One interesting snake was a small cottonmouth that he claimed was over 8 years old. As the snake was only about 2.5' - 3' long this was already what I would unusual due to its diminutive size. I always suspected that maybe the specimen's growth was stunted due to an unnatural diet and/or living in cramped quarters----though I guess we have all seen snakes raised up in cramped quarters on unnatural diets that grew to their full natural length. The second thing that was unusual about the snake was its coloration. It was a shiny "jet black" all over its body----even on its belly. Now I have no doubt about the guy’s identification of the snake as an Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma (Western Cottonmouth), as I know the exact location the snake was collected and that place abounds with Western Cottonmouths. Typical specimens from that location would vary in color from a dark slate gray to a dark chocolate brown (but never jet black). That guy had a melanistic Cottonmouth----that’s for sure.

Best,

John (a.k.a. S.B. O'Gill)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]