kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: What is a "blacksnake"?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ]

Posted by sparky2726 on March 11, 2002 at 20:22:10:

In Reply to: Re: What is a "blacksnake"? posted by Rick on March 07, 2002 at 12:02:16:

Anyone had any luck with these in captivity? Thinking of doing ths school lecture thing, and haveing a few of the local non-venimous snakes to show off.

Sparky

: : This is probably a dumb question but..... I live in Maryland and we have tons of "blacksnakes" all around. When they are young, the are brownish and tan, sort of copperhead colors. Well I hacve always thought these "blacksnakes" were "black rat snakes" but while looking at a reptile book at the library I saw a phote of a black racer and adults were all black and the juviniles were tan and brown. The book also said they were agreesive and these snakes have bit me (my bad) and always stop and hiss at you. Could I be seeing "black racers' all over the place in Maryland? Thanks.

: Most definitely, I also live in Maryland and black Racers are more common then black rat snakes in my area. Racers are much faster moving and have eyes that can focus straight ahead. They also have smooth scales, not keeled.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ]