kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Why no CB Racers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt on March 26, 2001 at 15:10:51:

In Reply to: Why no CB Racers? posted by BillT on March 25, 2001 at 19:41:15:

: Why is it so hard to find CB Racers? does anyone breed them in captivity... i know they are very nervous snakes but they are still beautifull. id like to try and breed black racers but ive seen no one else doing it and have wondered if maybe its not possible or extremely difficult? any insight is greatly apreciated.

There have been people dedicated enough to breed these, I think the main reason is commerical value, there really are not that many people interested (unfortunately) in racers and whipsnakes, and secondly is the erratic nature of them in captivity. They are not all that difficult to breed, I kept a pair of c.c.foxi for 3 years and bred them twice in that time. The babies didnt do very well, the first clutch, they all eventually died, the second time I bred them, I spared them the suffering and let them go about 24 hours after they hatched. Then I gave the adults to a friend, who I have long since lost contact with (this was nearly 10 years ago).
I kept the adults seperately in 30 gallon tanks with access to basking lights and full spectrum flo. bulbs. I fed the adults (that were close to 4' long) prekilled small mice and the occasional sceloporus that I found in the back yard. I stopped feeding them in november, and put them (tank and all ) in the garage the last week of nov. and kept them there till late march, fed the heck out of the female ( about 5 mice per week, the male refused all food, expectedly) and after 4 weeks of power feeding, I put the female with the male and about 2 days later I observed copulation numerous times in a 3 week period (occasionaly seperating them to feed the female) once she stopped eating, I kept them apart, and kept a medium sized nesbox (a 1 gallon plastic ice cream bucket)and about a month and a half later, I got 5 eggs from her, they all hatched in about 70 days at 80F, and were seperated immediately.
Hope this helps

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]