return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: captive breeding & husbandry of 'SPILOTES PULLATUS'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe on October 25, 2000 at 01:32:38:

In Reply to: captive breeding & husbandry of 'SPILOTES PULLATUS' posted by DAVE POWELL on November 30, 1999 at 13:23:45:

Dave,

Spilotes are one of my favorite species. I used to buy 10 foot adults from Emerald in south florida and a few other places for $12 each! The perttiest, in my opinion, were the white headed ones - no black for the first foot or so, but with the big black eyes. We also saw some that were as speckled as the best speckled king snake - totally black with a cream spot on every scale. The prettiest were those with rose or orange on the heads and throats.
My suggestion would be to either buy captive born or get ready to treat the imports. If you do try the imports maybe line up a source for chicks. Mine were more likely to take chicks than rodents. They also need a relatively large enclosure, plenty of branches and a big water bowl to soak in. They are very demanding snakes, but I loved every minute of it. I could let them go in the house and they never bothered to hide - just glided across the furniture and floor in search of food.
Tell me, do you still have access to imports down there?

Joe Monahan

: HI HERPERS!! LOOKING FOR ANY INFO. ON KEEPING,BREEDING,ETC... ON WC,LTC,CH or CB& RAISED SPILOTES.ANY INFO. WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.ALSO RAT VS. RACER?ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH KEEPING THESE NEAT ANIMALS.THANKS,DAVE POWELL,WEST PALM BCH,FL.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]