return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I received this as an Email, suggestions, anyone?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sue on October 15, 2000 at 22:33:02:

We recently fixed up an old house that was vacant for a couple years and I am sure there were mice and snakes inside...but we saw none during the nine months of renovating, pulling downs walls, pulling up floors, banging, etc....now that things have quieted down, we have seen two black snakes in the house (maybve black rat snakes, maybe black racers, or ????) ....I was able to get one snake outside with a broom and an open door policy after it tried to strike at people in the kitchen (I suppose it was as surprised)...The next day I found it lying on the floor and used the broom to move it outside and then got it into a bucket and walked it down to the woods...but now another smaller (2-3') black snake is in the basement and I assume it could try to make it's way upstairs to the living area. I suspect we are having a problem because there was an access door to the crawl space beside the basement that was left open by the caprenter all Spring and summer. We sealed up the door in September, amd I suspect we may have "trapped" a snake or two in the crawl space and they have made their way into the house (basement) from the crawl space searching for food--or a way outside. I used to be petrified of snakes but am getting over the fear since this house is on 16 acres and I have seen many (many, many) snakes in the fields, wood piles, empty barns and empty sheds)....BUT having one or two in the house is not what I want and I have set mousetraps to catch any errant dinners that might have also gotten trapped in the basement. So, any suggestions to move the snakes OUTSIDE from in the house....I finally (and reluctantly) set glue pans (shallow pans of sticky glue 6" x 9" wide) along the walls and I check them regularly and plan on dumping vegetable oil on the traps--IF I get a snake..but I would prefer to just find a way to sweep them outside. I have heard about putting down moth balls, lime--and even crushed seashells (diafameceuos earth) because the snakes don't like to "crawl" over the sharp edges. Are these all myths--or does any of this work. HELP!!! Please.....please answer via email: Barrylou@ziplink.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racer and Coachwhip Forum ] [ FAQ ]