kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

There are no obese snakes in the wild....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by jfmoore on May 13, 2003 at 12:21:24:

In Reply to: The Results of Power Feeding.... posted by hoodedserpant on May 12, 2003 at 17:12:42:

Or so I’ve always claimed. I had to change my tune when I was in Florida a couple of months ago. We were herping next to an irrigation ditch in an orange grove. Someone found a black racer that was so well nourished it was “squishy-feeling”. Another person found a big, fat, honkin’ corn snake that was in the process of eating a good-sized rat. Granted, in the wild animals have to chow down when food presents itself since the supply may rapidly disappear. Still, these two specimens had definitely “power fed” themselves. Just food for thought.

-Joan

:I have been breeding snakes quite some time now and I know the bigger the female the more eggs you are likly to get. To get the female bigger a lot of people "power feed" them. Personally I do not "power feed" any of my animals as I think it is unhealthy to do so. That is just my opinion. I also did some research on this subject and found out that many snakes that are power fed dont live near as long as a snake that is feed a normal size meal every 7-10 days. I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about the snakes not living a long. Just thought this would be a good topic to discuss because personally I know people that do power feed there reptiles and I just wanted to see what people had to say about this.

:Eric

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]