kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I've researched both species...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by Art MacAilin on May 11, 2003 at 17:31:29:

In Reply to: blood python or viper boa?? posted by evan on May 11, 2003 at 16:49:05:

However, I don't yet own either. So don't take this as first-hand experience.
Bloods (blacks, reds, and Borneos alike) reach sizes much larger than viper boas. Red bloods especially have the potential to reach a size many snake owners would deem virtually unhandleable (but these large bloods do seem to be in the minority).
While both vipers and bloods may have feeding issues, the viper's is more easily overcome. Vipers don't have the blood's tendency to go off feed due to small errors in husbandry. However, wild-caught viper's may be difficult feeders, as they'll most often prefer lizards to rodents (however, viper's are the easiest Candoia species to switch to rodents).
While red bloods are sometimes nippy into adulthood, black bloods are, by most, described as fairly laid-back snakes. Though more than a few vipers are handleable (and I would wager that their reputation is derived from the temperament of the many wild-caughts sold in the states), to quote Jerry Conway, "They can often be nasty snakes, which may bite repeatedly and viciously."
If price is an issue, you may be able to find a captive bred viper for cheaper than a captive bred red blood (I don't know the going price for Borneo's, but blacks are often around $175).
I'm a python fan myself. And I'd rather have a blood. But if you're a novice keeper with little experience with boids, go with the more hardy viper. They may still require a bit of delicate attention, but they're much more forgiving of error than bloods.
For more info on bloods, check out Pro Exotics. For the best info on vipers and all other Candoia species, see Jerry Conway's site.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]