kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Dumb mistake? Help me understand? (kind of long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by gabered on May 08, 2003 at 20:38:59:

Hello,
I have a four foot male Macklot's Python that I've had for about four months. When I first got him he was a bit snappy and bit me two or three times. Since then I've been careful and very patient. He almost never stricks and hasn't bit me since the first week I had him. TOnight was different...

I was changing his water and he came out of his hide like a hornet. I picked him up and moved him back to the other side of his cage until I finished with the water. Then I picked him up to handle him a bit since he was already out of his hide and looked active. Well, first thing he did was wrap my hand and arm up and tried to "choke" me. I thought it was really weird. Before I could pry him of (gently) he turned around and sunk his teeth into me as if trying to EAT me. Never did this before. After I got his teeth out of me and made sure he didn't break any off I put him back and he hasn't settled down since (one hour.

Only thing I can think of is this... I had been feeding mice and rats I keep as feeders about an hour before. I thought I washed up well and after a bit I started cleaning his water tub. Do you think he thought I was prey? Maybe still had mouse sent on me?? He eats once a week two medium to large mice. His feeding day is still 2 - 3 days off. Would he be THAT hungry as to try to eat me? It wasn't a defesive quick strike that I am used to. He just turned around after strangling my arm as if to try to swallow me.

Help me understand so I can avoid this in the future. I will not even LOOK at mice two days before I go near my snakie.

Thanks
Gabe

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]