kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Information about cholera...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ National Iguana Awareness Day Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by M.T. on March 22, 2001 at 15:01:01:

In Reply to: Help!!! I am pregnant & I don't know if iguanas are safe posted by Renee on March 16, 2001 at 09:10:19:

I truly believe that you were told something that was an old-wives tail probably well-intentioned because you are pregnant. When someone is pregnant and has a cat they tell them to get rid of it because of toxiplasmosis, if someone has a reptile they tell them to get rid of it because of salmonella. As you do apparently know, and I applaud you for, if one is responsible these need not be issues. Recently I did a report on diseases for one of my classes, and the following is the information I found from the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control:

A person may get cholera by drinking water or eating food contaminated with the cholera bacterium. In an epidemic, the source of the contamination is usually the feces of an infected person. The disease can spread rapidly in areas with inadequate treatment of sewage and drinking water. No major outbreaks of this disease have occurred in the United States since 1911. However, sporadic cases occurred between 1973 and 1991, suggesting the possible reintroduction of the organism into the U.S. marine and estuarine environment. The cases between 1973 and 1991 were associated with the consumption of raw shellfish or of shellfish either improperly cooked or recontaminated after proper cooking. In 1991 outbreaks of cholera in Peru quickly grew to epidemic proportions and spread to other South American and Central American countries, including Mexico. Over 340,000 cases and 3,600 deaths have been reported in the Western Hemisphere since January 1991. However, only 24 cases of cholera have been reported in the United States.

As you can see, it's a very rare disease in our country to begin with, and is mainly isolated to areas of the world with poor sewage. It is not a reptile disease, but rather, one which is related to water sources which can contaminate shellfish in these waters. The original vector of transmission is actually livestock excretions which run off into waters. I really hope this helps a little. And I hope you do decide to keep your iguana, because I know it's a great way to get children to learn responsibility and compassion for animals.

Best wishes,
M.T. Bogucki

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ National Iguana Awareness Day Forum ] [ FAQ ]