return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: PetLine - my e-mail to Animal Planet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The National Iguana Awareness Day Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carrie on September 08, 1999 at 19:04:02:

In Reply to: PetLine posted by Carrie on September 08, 1999 at 17:52:01:

OK, so I sent Animal Planet an e-mail. Argiope, I hope you don't mind, I mentioned that you would probably be happy to hear from them if they should have any questions about NIAD. I just figured who best to answer them? Anyway, here's the e-mail I sent:

> Hello,
> I am an animal lover and an Animal Planet viewer from Massachusetts and I just want to start by
saying that I love this new Animal Planet channel. My remote has only a few "favorites"
programmed into it and Animal Planet is one of them.

> I do however, have a few concerns. I worry a lot when I see and hear misinformation on some of
the shows. These shows are being broadcast to millions of people, some of whom have no prior
experience with many animals. There have been a few instances, for example where I have heard
such outdated information from Dr. Bernie, that I would have laughed at it, had I not been thinking
about how many people would just assume that was the 'the word' and never question it.

> Today, I was watching a re-run of Pet Line, in which the woman who was showing off new products
told the viewing audience that iguanas are omnivores and need meat as well as vegetables in their
diet. Now, I know there are still vets giving out this information, and many pet stores are, out of
ignorance, doing the same. However, there has been much research proving to the contrary, that
green iguanas are herbivores and should not be fed any type of animal protein. Such husbandry
practices could indeed, be fatal within very few years when the iguana falls victim to kidney/renal
failure. In fact, my iguana has recently passed away due to misinformation and a lack of knowledge
of some very important factors in keeping iguanas as pets, such as the importance of proper
hydration and supplementation.

> There is a non-profit group in the U.S. (and world-wide) called National Iguana Awareness Day.
This group of iguana keepers and researchers tries to spread the word on how to properly care for
captive green iguanas. I realize that new information is constantly being discovered and there can be
conflicting opinions on certain things regarding iguana care, but I feel that this group does a great job
in trying to help educate people with the most up-to-date information available. There are also a few
well known "iguana care gurus" that support this group in their efforts. I was wondering if the good
people at Animal Planet would perhaps be interested in learning more about NIAD and captive
green iguana care. If you are, I have enclosed a link to the national web site
(http://www.niad.org/national/index.html). I am sure that the National NIAD Coordinator would be
very happy to hear from you.

> Thank you for your time,
> Carrie Stadalski

I feel better now. : )

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The National Iguana Awareness Day Forum ] [ FAQ ]