return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Yeah, but Paramesotritons are a little different...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Salamander & Newt Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Clare on December 04, 1999 at 10:57:13:

In Reply to: Compatability of Amphibians in General posted by Wes von Papineäu on December 04, 1999 at 10:00:11:

But if you're Paramesotriton, try to kill it, no matter what size it is except in the breeding season when you mate with it, then
kill it later..

John

: You remember all those posters that came out a while ago about "All that I have to know about life I learned from my Dog/Cat/Star Trek", etc? Well, I've created the same thing after years of watching my California Newts (Tarichas).

: 1. If it's smaller than you are; eat it!

: 2. If it's larger than you are, run from it!

: 3. If it's the same size you are, mate it!

: Basically, Newts are opportunistic carnavoires, and will take every opportunity to feed possible. Yes, some species are less aggressive or violent than others, as are some individuals within those aggressive species, but ... basically, you have to watch them carefully.

: IF you're going to mix species (anfd this forum has had some excellent debate on that now-dead horse); a good rule of thumb is to mix only similar sized animals ... and then only under frequent observation so that combattive territorial melees can be separated before someone loses a leg.
: Frogs, Newts, Toads, Salamanders ... it really does not make a huge difference ... if somebody thinks that they can turn their neighbour into an entree, or drive them from nearby territory without much effort or personal danger, they'll do it.
: What you have seen in your tank is Nature at it's most basic ... eat, and survive to procreate!
: I realize that these musings don't do much to help you with your own immediate problem, but I think that you've already found your own answer ... separation of combattants and careful sizing of tank-mates in the future.
: Good luck with it ... I think near everyone in the forum's been through this at one time or another ... you're not alone.
: Cheers, Wes

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Salamander & Newt Forum ] [ FAQ ]