kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Actually....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]

Posted by EdK on April 15, 2003 at 06:53:26:

In Reply to: Re: Actually.... posted by CeeTee on April 13, 2003 at 22:50:00:

:I have yet to hear such a complaint from a roach user. The type of roach that would eat a live bat is not the type that one would feed to a salamander anyway.

The majority of roaches and all of the ones that are cultured for food items are omnivores and will opportunistically feed upon any available food source (much like crickets). Additionally,the roach was in the same genus as the death heads but I don't remmeber the species off hand (and these are used as a food item for amphibians as well as reptiles). The fact that that you have not heard any complaints as of yet does not validate your claim as the sample size may be too small.
I can confirm (through records at work) that one of the roaches species (I believe Australian) became established in a Zoological collection and would predate upon new born Corucia zebrata as well as other herps. Neonatal Corucia are significantly larger than any salamander or newt.
Ed

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]