kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

It's true, mixing species is wrong.I got a bad infection from the sheep

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]

Posted by Bubba on November 09, 2001 at 14:13:27:

In Reply to: Re: uh huh... posted by orion on November 09, 2001 at 11:29:32:

: one local pet store here in california has n.viridescens with c.orientalis. almost every single eastern newts is bloated and ill. the owner claims that they blow themselves up like some frogs when they are threatened, but they are sick and can't even submerse themselves. not only that, but every single c.orientalis is piled up on top of eachother in one corner, while the easterns over run the majority of the tank. c.orientalis does not live so close to other animals in the wild, and because they are now living on top of eachother they will also develop fungal infections.

: another fish store has several paramesotriton with p.labiatus and rana spp. they are roughly the same size, and there are several dead of each species floating in the tank. ironically, they have their c.orientalis and n.viridescens in separate tanks.

: finally, the worst pet store around here has p.labiatus, paramesotriton sp., c.orientalis, n.viridescens, several small tropical fish, fire belly toads, and on ocassion, mandarins. i have yet to see a healthy specimen in that tank.

: kyle, i don't know why you insist on arguing the subject. you are free to make your own decisions, whether they be smart ones or not. but if you're here looking for some sort of justification for peace of mind, i don't think you're going to find it. species size is only part of the issue of species-mixing. the main danger, which you have not addressed at all, is that foreign species carry foreign pathogens that are harmful when introduced to other species that don't have a natural resistance. this has nothing to do with size. you have argued every reason given for not mixing species, but you have not argued this one. it seems to me that you do realize the risks in mixing species, but your idea for an interesting tank is more important, and you're really reaching with your arguments for species mixing; looking for peace of mind so that you don't feel guilty when something goes wrong. i mean, anybody with average reasoning skills could weigh the risks of species mixing and the consequences and see that it's not worth the risk. you asked a question about species mixing, and you received several logical, and factual reasons not to do so, but you are disregarding all of them. also, in my opinion, you don't have a firm grasp on the consept of biodiversity, and species habitats and micro-habitats. i would suggest you read a book on biodiversity so that you can learn about micro-habitats and species distribution. like i said, you are free to do whatever you want despite the consequences, but you really should find a better hobby than trying to prove experience people wrong with uneducated arguments. just for the record, i have mixed c.orientalis and n.viridescens, and it worked for 2 years. then, one c.orientalis began to reject food, and still dies in the quarantine tank.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]