kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Minnows, substrate questions for N. sipedon, N. rhombife

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]

Posted by pulatus on April 13, 2003 at 23:27:08:

In Reply to: Minnows, substrate questions for N. sipedon, N. rhombifer posted by pamotto on April 12, 2003 at 11:44:47:

I've recently switched to cypress mulch as a substrate. It can be bought at lawn/garden centers like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Its usually chunky enough that the snakes don't ingect it. Its also a little more natural looking than shavings. Humidity is important for snakes, but water snakes in particular will develop blisters on their ventral scales which will kill them if they are kept in a damp enclose. A warm spot provided by an incandescent light bulb in a reflector is important is important - they'll need a warm spot to bask in. When they blue up prior to a shed its easy to pour water on the cypress and still give them warm, dry branches to climb on.

I would never treat fish fed to water snakes, especially not with salt or formalin! If fed minnows from the bait store they will develop a certainly contract some internal; parasites, just as all wild populations of snakes do. But they will live with them fine as long as they are not stressed unduely.

You can get water snakes to eventually accept pink pice, and eventually adult mice, but it takes some coaxing. Keep reading because there are some other important issues with nerodia's diet.

Joe

Joe

:Our nature center has recently acquired two young (born last fall) CB northern water snakes and one young (about the same age) CB diamondback water snake. They're currently being kept together in a 20-gal. long aquarium on aspen shavings with hide areas, a basking log and a water dish; they have a flourescent light above, but no additional heat. Here's my question: What treatments are necessary for the bait-shop fathead minnows we feed them? I've heard everything from formalin (Quick Cure) to salt (any advice on concentration would be appreciated) to freezing first to gat rid of parasites. (But with that last option, I worry about destroying vitamin B.)I do not know what, if any, chemicals are added to the water at the bait shop before hand, but that would be easy enough to find out.
:Another question--should the snakes be removed to a separate container for feeding? There are several large pieces of bark surrounding the water dish, and most of the eating seems to occur in that area, but I worry that the little guys might ingest some of the aspen shavings. Is that a valid concern?
:I want to make sure these snakes, who all are great eaters, remain as healthy and happy as they seem to be right now!
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]