kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: European watersnakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]

Posted by michael56 on January 19, 2003 at 14:51:57:

In Reply to: Re: European watersnakes posted by Jan Grathwohl on January 15, 2003 at 17:18:52:

Jan,
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. I've been busy trying to re-design my "Florida room". At present I use aquariums of appropriate size for each of the water snakes however, I'm considering an open vviarium style with the intent of enhancing and expiditing the cleaning process. My larger nerodia are about 1 to 1.5 metres long and eating two 15 to 20 cm trout at each feeding. The result is like having a flock of birds in each tank! Because I love working with the snakes, I have no problem cleaning daily but with the system now it is very inefficient and time consuming.
With regard to working towards exchanging Natrix/Nerodia, this is a very exciting prospect. Do you have special interest in a specific species? I know that books often show/describe specimens that are not typical which makes it difficult to appreciate the species as a whole. For example, I have four pictiventris; 2 are beautifully patterned females, 1 rather drab male and 1 very attractive orange-phase male (not albino)!
Fortuneately, the people on this forum can provide a tremendous range of information regarding species description (we have water snakes ranging over literally millions of square kilometres) with integrades of various sub-species.
Stay with us,
Michael
ps Best of luck with your Helvitica.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]