kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Mountain Horned Newbie, info wanted

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Mountain and Tree Dragon Forum ]

Posted by welshdragon on May 14, 2003 at 09:39:58:

In Reply to: Mountain Horned Newbie, info wanted posted by FroggieB on May 13, 2003 at 17:24:40:

:If you go to my web site there is a page that will help you determine the gender of you MHD. To view it, CLICK HERE.

:I have also prepared a short care sheet the purpose of which is to give new owners a quick jump-start with their MHDs. To view this CLICK HERE.

:The short caresheet has several links to the main caresheet in case you want more detailed information.

:I feel that the first order of business is to have a fecal exam done if you haven’t already done so. Most MHDs from pet stores have many parasites and without treatment the chance of survival is slim.

:Second, I prefer not to have the crickets running loose. Most healthy adults will chase and eat them but there is some risk of them ingesting substrate and forming an impaction. They can also feed on feces and possibly even on your MHD. The best way to feed the MHDs is to pinch off the back legs and put them in a crock type bowl with cricket chow and a small piece of carrot.

:If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to post and you will get answers.

:Welcome to the forum,
:Marcia

Thanks for that, so I would be better putting the crickets and mealworms in a little bowl instead of letting them run around the tank.
What is it best to gut load the crickets with, at the moment we are using apples, strawberries and other fruit.
Could another species of floor dwelling lizard, like a leopard or fat-tail gecko go in the same enclosure?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Mountain and Tree Dragon Forum ]