kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

From my experience with them....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Mountain and Tree Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Joe on April 30, 2003 at 13:48:12:

In Reply to: Mountain Horned Dragon Newbie posted by corn_snake_123 on April 29, 2003 at 16:30:00:

:-Do MHD's grow 30cm? if not how big?

Honestly, I don't know what the conversion is for metric right now, but my largest MHD at the moment is about 12 inches snout to tail.

:-Can 1 MHD live in a 24inch x 15inch x 3foot enclosure?

Can you give the dimensions with like height, width, and depth? If the 3 foot is height than it should be pretty good for one MHD.

:-Do they eat all insects, what are there favorite foods?

Yes they eat all insects. My experience is that they love nightcrawlers with mealworms, waxworms and crickets coming in behind them, but earthworms and nightcrawlers are definitely the favorite.

:-Temperature? what heating? bulb, heat mat?

They typically don't need a heat bulb or mat at all during the summer, and sometimes only a little heat in the winter. The typical daily temp in my tanks is about 78 summer and 75-76 winter with it dropping to 72 at night for summer and as low as 68 for winter. The only thing I use in the tank is a flourescent UVB bulb.

:-Humidity?

Humidity should stay about 70% most of the time with daily misting of the tank.

:-Handling? like or dislike?

From my experience, the Capra's don't really mind being handled and some seem to enjoy it. But my Armata's HATE being touched...LOL. If they puff out their throat and hiss at you when you get close I wouldn't hold them too often. :)

:-Screen or glass housing?

Glass seems to be the best as it holds the humidity that these dragons require.

:-Are they agressive?

My armata's are pretty aggressive, but the capra's aren't very much at all.

:-live plants like ficus, pothos? ok or not too gud?

I use pothos in my enclosures with great success! I also have a few baby palm trees and some spath without any problems. Ficus Benjamina (sp?) is supposed to work very well with them too! Live plants also help the humidity!

There ya go, any other questions?

Joe

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Mountain and Tree Dragon Forum ]