kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Marcia...update on the baby

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Mountain and Tree Dragon Forum ]

Posted by FroggieB on April 18, 2003 at 14:27:49:

In Reply to: Marcia...update on the baby posted by Joe on April 18, 2003 at 00:14:08:

Joe, I don't think the ribs are broken. I think it is part of the MBD problem I have been having with this batch of babies. You remember that I broke my foot and arm last summer. Well, I had the girl from up the street caring for my babies and she just hasn't gotten the concept of dusting the feeders. In fact, they often didn't have enought mealworms for all of them to eat. By the time I enlisted some better help I had lost many of the babies. I had though that the ones remaining were alright but now I am beginning to wonder. I feel like I owe kashmirtiger for her baby and feel the same if you lose yours. I have some here that have the sunken look that makes the ribs come up to a point at the sides. I have been giving liquid calcium and vit D sparingly in hopes that it would turn things around for them.

I am sure hoping that my success the first 2 years with my babies wasn't just a fluke. I have eggs that have been in the incubator for 197 days now. I have never had them take longer than 175 and had some hatch at 129. The average has been 150. I opened 2 of the eggs to see what is going on and one had no yolk sac and was very thin. The other had a fair amount of yolk left but it was too early for him to hatch and both were lost. I knew this was the risk when I opened them but had to see what the status was. I have increased the temps thinking that the low to mid 60's may be too cool.

On the other hand, Tuck that I got from Cheyanne was thin and displayed the rib thing when I got him and he has turned around and is very straight and well shaped although he is still a bit on the thin side but not so thin as to be worried about him.

If anyone has had a problem with a dragon from me I am more than willing to replace it as soon as I have new babies of a good age. I also have two small ones a bit younger than Joe's Link that seem to be doing well. I have just switched to small night crawlers and European night crawlers for the babies and young animals to see it this will turn things around.

Marcia

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Mountain and Tree Dragon Forum ]