kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Recently adopted a Savannah Monitor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by pitchick on May 14, 2003 at 15:23:48:

Hi,
My boyfriend and I recently adopted a Savannah Monitor from our local shelter (they also have a juvenial Golden Tegu if there are any experienced collectors in the SF Bay Area who may be interested, I can email you the shelter info). It's really his monitor and he also has a adult red tegu, but I am planning on being involved in caring for her and would like to learn more about them.
She was brought into the shelter as a stray, is only about a foot long, is eating pre-killed frozen/thawed food, she has been seen by a vet and is in great shape. We have the basic care guidelines taken care of, but would like to work more toward optimal care.
Right now she is in a 75 gallon aquarium, but a custom made enclosure is in the works. I've gone through the archives and have seen several people recommend using slightly moist dirt as a substrate. What kind of dirt is this? Do you buy potting soil at a garden supply store? I'm assuming that we would need to find one without added chemicals? Any brands or combinations that people recommend?
In regards to diet, right now she is eating a few crickets or wax worms and a couple rat fuzzies every couple of days. I've read that it is important to provide a variety of food, any thoughts on what else we should feed her? I noticed that rodentpro has chicks and quail, would those be good additions?
Any additional advice or info is greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]