kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good Luck with him. I love BT's They're the jizigty wiggit!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by Grey_Owl on May 14, 2003 at 00:28:01:

In Reply to: New Black Throat Monitor posted by timopar on May 13, 2003 at 15:07:23:

:Just wanted to let everyone know that I picked up that BT Sat. He is skin and bones, dry as a rock and mean as he!!. He was kept as a pet for some time, however, it does not appear that he had any interaction with is previous owner. His condition is improving daily and hopefully with some time and attention he will calm down, but I do not look for him to be a "puppy" as most BT's are reported to be.
:Right now I have his basking spot at 130 deg. with the cool side of his cage at 85. He has been feeding voraciously on supplemented raw turkey daily and I will be giving him a rat today. I am feeding him the turkey strictly to try and get some weight on him, he is absolutely emaciated. He has not defected as of yet so I have not gotten a stool sample to the vet, but will do that as soon as I can.
:I also soaked him for about an hour the first night I had him in my care. He did not like that too much but we got through it without any blood shed and he looks and smells alot better for it.
:Is there anything that I am missing on getting this guy healthy and fat?? He is a gorgeous animal, just skinnier than any BT should be and mean as all get out right now(I'm sure his condition has alot to do with that). Look forward to any help you can give, thanks.
:P.S. the pic is one that was sent to me by the guy I got the BT from. That is not the cage he is currently in. He is relaxing in a MUCH larger cage more suitable for his size.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]