kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

On the Subject of Salvadorii...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on May 12, 2003 at 16:18:11:

In Reply to: On the Subject of Salvadorii... posted by Mokele on May 12, 2003 at 10:06:54:

Our wildlife center keeps several species of monitors; salvadorii being one of them (we have a pair). You seemd to answer your questions rather well. Crocs are far more warier than black throats and it takes much more effort to keep them tame. BUT, I don't really look at croc monitors as pet lizards that should be held daily but rather spectacular display animals that are truly fascinating to observe (in large, spacious enclosures which most people fail to provide). Tigers can be "tame", lions can be "tame", heck grizzlies can be "tame", however I don't consider them to be pets and it is usually only a matter of time before you take a hit from a croc monitor. So, if you are looking for a great "pet" monitor, I don't think you can go wrong with an ackie (if you want a smaller varanid) or a black throated monitor. I have a feeling that seeing all of the croc monitors now on the market is going to result in a lot of croc monitors displaced due to owners who are not equipped at taking on this kind of responsibility. But, if you have the resources, space and dedication, croc monitors can be fascinating animals to work with.

:Since there seems to be a lot of talk about this species now, and I just saw my first live specimen of this species (which i absolutely adored), this would probably be a good time to ask this.

:About how easy is it to tame a croc monitor. I know they're no Sav or BT in terms of temperment (and I've noticed that arboreal animals are often more high-strung anyway), but I have heard of a few instances of truly tame V. salvadorii. I know it's going to vary from individual to individual depending on the animal's personality, but has anyone actually tamed one? How much time did it take per day? 2 hours?

:As a disclaimer, no, I don't have one, nor am i ready for one, and if I do decide to get one, it'll probably be a good 4 years before I'm financially ready and experienced enough. However, info like this is what'll help me to decide whether I should buy a croc monitor, or just a big, framed poster of one.

:Mokele

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]