kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

On the Subject of Salvadorii...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by Jody P. on May 12, 2003 at 11:10:56:

In Reply to: On the Subject of Salvadorii... posted by Mokele on May 12, 2003 at 10:06:54:

What do you mean by tame?

Dog tame should be used to describe dogs, cat tame is for cats, monitor tame would define monitors. Why dog tame is used is beyond me all dogs are not what I believe most of you are calling tame.

If your thinking as in the monitor will not run you down to eat you well that would imply to most any of them. If your thinking you can have your kids kiss it, sleep with it. Cuddle and watch TV with it you may want to rethink about owning any reptiles. There are exceptions but for the most part a healthy animal will not choose to be this way. They can however be conditioned to look at you as non-threatning.

:Since there seems to be a lot of talk about this species now, and I just saw my first live specimen of this species (which i absolutely adored), this would probably be a good time to ask this.

:About how easy is it to tame a croc monitor. I know they're no Sav or BT in terms of temperment (and I've noticed that arboreal animals are often more high-strung anyway), but I have heard of a few instances of truly tame V. salvadorii. I know it's going to vary from individual to individual depending on the animal's personality, but has anyone actually tamed one? How much time did it take per day? 2 hours?

:As a disclaimer, no, I don't have one, nor am i ready for one, and if I do decide to get one, it'll probably be a good 4 years before I'm financially ready and experienced enough. However, info like this is what'll help me to decide whether I should buy a croc monitor, or just a big, framed poster of one.

:Mokele

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]