kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

whats your personal reason for choosing the...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by gruveb on May 12, 2003 at 09:31:56:

In Reply to: whats your personal reason for choosing the... posted by bengalensis on May 12, 2003 at 01:26:34:

Michelle,

Yeah, that's why. For health reasons. I don't think that eating some rodents is bad for them, but I'm certainly no expert. Just going off of things that I've read, NOT by hobbyist, suggests that they really don't eat rodents naturally. And since they dont' normally eat rodents their digestive systems aren't going to be quite as effecient in digesting them as say a snake would be.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. That's just what makes sense to me. It seems to me that people who preach feeding their animals rodents do so out of justification. Rodents are easier to breed, buy, maintain and so on than insects are (normally speaking) and most other monitors and captive reptiles for that matter eat rodents as a mainstay of their diets.

I'm certainly not trying to flame anyone, heck, I don't even know anyone on this board. I'm not trying to flame people who feed their monitors rodents either. I personally feel that if the animal is being fed....even improperly, housed and cared for well, then I've got no beef with anyone. Heck, we eat food that's not quite right for us all of the time, and dog food is terrible, generally speaking, for dogs.

:insect based diet?? Ive gotten a lot of grief for saying that a purely rodent based diet can cause a fatty liver. I was just wondering if you were choosing the insect diet for health reasons.
:Thanks, Michelle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]