kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

not andrew but

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by Jody P. on May 08, 2003 at 18:35:00:

In Reply to: wait a second andrew.... posted by mikey56 on May 08, 2003 at 17:38:18:

your way of thinking 6 foot monitor 6 foot wide and cannot turn around?? well that would be true if the monitors body was 6 foot but last I checked they had tails making up a part of the body length and the body bends they are not stiff as a board. If yours are you may want to check for a pulse. LOL

Please do not take this as me being rude or mean in anyway. That is just what I pictured the way you worded it. I agree as big as you can go is best you cannot go to big. But being realistic the hieght is not needed for any purpose besides allowing them to climb some do some do not. But it does not make them healthier then ones that cannot climb. There are alot of other points that are more important in husbandry then that. After all any monitor can swim but does it mean I need a large pool or pond for them to get along good??

Just some food for thought enjoy :)

:The cage is 3 feet deep.. now tell me how a full grown balckthroat going to turn around comfortably?? I have never seen an adult BT smaller that five feet. You suggested a foot more, well in my opinion thats still not enough. i think that the cage should be at least as wide as the monitor is long(i e 6 ft monitor 6 ft wide) that way the animal can turn around without scrunching up its whole body. Just my opinion.

:For madeleine....
:The cage is fine in length, but i would make it wider for reasons as i stated above and the height should be a lttle bit taller as if i am correct BT's climb to some degree.

:Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]