kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Finally getting a BT!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by timopar on May 05, 2003 at 16:28:32:

In Reply to: Finally getting a BT!! posted by Tenor Goddess on May 05, 2003 at 15:56:34:

This BT was "rescued" on Friday May 2, 2003. The pictures were taken the same day, so he has only had him in his care for a couple of days at this point and for just over a week when I pick him up. The rescuer is a long time reptile keeper and herpist, who runs a reptile education program, so I think if he says it is healthy he is probably correct. That being said, this guy sure does look to me to be very thin, especially in the tail and hips and a vet visit will be a must.
Any suggestions on heating the cage??
Thanks for your input.

:Granted that whether you adopt or buy a vet trip is always something that is good to get done just in case.
:If you are adopting from a rescue, they should have brought this guy back up to weight (they could have had one like one savannah I rescued that was SO wrath-like he looked like walking death and even now he could still stand to get weight on him..I don't like seeing pelvic bones on any reptiles). In saying that, I don't know the rescuer and I don't know how this guy looked before they took him in...but, if this is how he looked when they got him then they should have made the effort to get him looking better (granted he does not look BAD at all compared to many of the savannahs I've taken in). :)

:Just my $0.02 and not flaming anyone, just seeing both sides of the coin.;)

:Amanda

::Well, I am finally getting a Black Throat Monitor this weekend. I am extremely excited about getting him, just can't wait.This guy is a rescue that I will be adopting and I have a few questions for you good folks. Being a rescue I am a little concerned that he may not be in as good a shape as I have been told. I will add pics to this message, I was told these pics are of him. To me he looks a little underweight. Do you see anything that would lead you to believe that he is anything but healthy??
::I have read EXTENSIVELY on the care of BT's for quite a while now but still want to be sure and cover my bases.
::Question: I have a large cage for him 7'x3'x2'. It is made of melamine with a single lexan door and 4 4" vents. What would be the best, most economical way of heating his cage?? What do you use? My first thoughts are a large(250watt) infrared heat lamp on the hot side for the 130 deg. basking temp, and about a 100 watt CHE on the cooler side, to keep it around 85 deg.
::Question: He is a rescue, however, he was a well cared for pet and is supposed to be very healthy. He is described as calm in demeanor. What sort of signs should I watch for that he is stressed and or ill? What sort of warnings do BT's give before they whack you, if any? While I am not afraid to get bit, if I can avoid it that would be good :-)
::I have been a reader of this forum for quite a while and know that these topics may have been covered in the past, but I wanted to get some clarification so that I can be sure to give him the best home possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]