kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Finally getting a BT!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by G Quirk on May 05, 2003 at 14:22:54:

In Reply to: Finally getting a BT!! posted by timopar on May 05, 2003 at 14:14:09:

I would be making a trip to the Vet, that BT does not look that great, hips and tail are too thin(either not taken care of properly/parasites or both)The positive thing is that BT are very hardy and with proper care and maint. he/she should be fine. Good Luck and Bravo to you for rescuing!!!!!!!!

:Another pic of the Black Throat I will be getting this weekend.

::Well, I am finally getting a Black Throat Monitor this weekend. I am extremely excited about getting him, just can't wait.This guy is a rescue that I will be adopting and I have a few questions for you good folks. Being a rescue I am a little concerned that he may not be in as good a shape as I have been told. I will add pics to this message, I was told these pics are of him. To me he looks a little underweight. Do you see anything that would lead you to believe that he is anything but healthy??
::I have read EXTENSIVELY on the care of BT's for quite a while now but still want to be sure and cover my bases.
::Question: I have a large cage for him 7'x3'x2'. It is made of melamine with a single lexan door and 4 4" vents. What would be the best, most economical way of heating his cage?? What do you use? My first thoughts are a large(250watt) infrared heat lamp on the hot side for the 130 deg. basking temp, and about a 100 watt CHE on the cooler side, to keep it around 85 deg.
::Question: He is a rescue, however, he was a well cared for pet and is supposed to be very healthy. He is described as calm in demeanor. What sort of signs should I watch for that he is stressed and or ill? What sort of warnings do BT's give before they whack you, if any? While I am not afraid to get bit, if I can avoid it that would be good :-)
::I have been a reader of this forum for quite a while and know that these topics may have been covered in the past, but I wanted to get some clarification so that I can be sure to give him the best home possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]