kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

good post creeps...thanks..n/m

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Monitor Forum ]

Posted by rope on April 30, 2003 at 19:34:46:

In Reply to: what is good soil? posted by creeps on April 30, 2003 at 19:07:21:

:"what is good soil?"

:Fact is, nobody knows for sure. We know what works, and what doesn't work, and there are different degres of that. You have to work by trial and error. There is no difinitive answer that anybody can give you. Only your lizard knows best, so you have to learn to judge its actions. It takes time, expirimentation, and patience.

:"what do i look for?"

:Does it hold a burrow is the most important thing to look for. If you have a female that will need to nest, you have to find out if they will use it to nest.

:"do i need to add peat ot sand?"

:Sometimes you might have to add sand. Peat, in my oppinion, is not good, but that is ultamitely your call.

:"do i have to test for its acidity?"

:No. If they don't use it, it sucks. Wheather or not acidity has a lot to do with that, is speculation.

:"will baking in the oven kill any parasites present?"

:It may, but is not neccesarry as long as you have a healthy animal to begin with, and the rest of your conditions allow your monitor to fight off such things. External parasites only effect them in large numbers. It is when they are kept in terrible conditions that parasites become a problem.

:"how long do i bake it?"

:I dont, so I cant answer this.

:"does it has to be damp or dry?"

:Damp, but not wet. You can permit the top to dry out as long as it still hold a burow. They use them to prevent dehydration because it prevents moisture from escaping through their skin, and eyes, and mouth. It gives them a humid environment that they need to retreat to.

:"thanks"

:Your welcome.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Monitor Forum ]