kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How big of rat for adult Hondurans????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by rtdunham on May 11, 2003 at 13:34:59:

In Reply to: How big of rat for adult Hondurans???? posted by jimbat on May 11, 2003 at 12:07:19:

:I was wondering what size rats you guys are feeding adult Hondurans. I am feeding rats that weigh between 25-35g. Sometimes two at a feeding, I believe they can handle bigger but was wondering what the rest of you are doing??
:Thanks
: Jim B

First of all, let's acknowledge that "adult" can be a 400 gram, three-and-a-half-footer, or a 1000 gram five and a half footer. So there's a lot of variability still applicable to your question. I'd say my remarks below are an ok ballpark for 500-600 gram animals.

If you're feeding live, i think you're at the upper limit because by that size they've started getting sharp teeth. larger ones could pose a risk. A one kilogram hondo could eat a half grown rat, but i sure wouldn't feed it a live one, and i wouldn't see the point of stuffing it with a frozen one either. Just my personal pref.

If you're feeding frozen, I think your snakes could easily handle 40 g, probably more.

I find that as the season progresses toward egglaying, my females will stop eating the larger fuzzies they've eaten all spring, and will eat only smaller food items. Offering some plump rat pinks is often a good way to get a few final meals in a gravid female that's been eating fuzzies, before she stops feeding completely.

terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]