kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

thanx all.. -TD more...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by rjward97 on May 05, 2003 at 15:23:47:

In Reply to: What do you think? posted by rtdunham on May 04, 2003 at 21:37:17:

Thank you for your opinion TD.
I can see where you have some points. I have given this a lot of thought. Just to give you some more insight to why I think the way I do.. My kids have been around animals all of their short lives. They are never allowed to handle any of our animals, with the exception of their cats, without me right there. I do wish you could come see how they act, so much better than most kids I have seen twice and three times their age and even more... I would never endanger my children or my animals. I did not plan on getting a baby anything(with the exception of a ball pyhton since they are pretty big as hatchlings.. but I would worry about them being stressed and refusing to eat.. but anyhow..) I know how risky that would be. I should have rephrased the way I asked. I do not plan on getting them a snake and expecting them to care for it and hold it on their own.. More like I am getting another snake and letting them think it is theirs, and letting them handle it more than the once a week they get to hold/pet my ksb's. I had already told my son he had to wait until he was 5yrs old to get a snake. Now he is. He has proved that he can be calm and gentle with my snakes/and other animals, and helps to feed and clean WITH me. Just so you know I do not plan on getting this snake as a Play Toy. That is wrong. I have seen to many green iguanas(and other reptiles) go to that.. They have many toy reptiles and other animals. I am sorry that I sounded immature and irresponsible. I am neither. I also still plan on getting some sort of snake. Still undecided.. but please understand I do not intend to buy a Play Thing for my kids to torment as they see fit, as I have seen with so many other poor animals...
Roxanne

:Here's a different opinion: no baby milksnake deserves to be handled by a two year old and a five year old. see other recent posts on this forum about baby milks' need for privacy/security, at least until they're a year old. Don't misunderstand me, I love kids, and my daughters had snakes when they were young, but not two. What's to be gained by not waiting til the kids are, say, five and eight? Is there any question that letting them have their first snake to handle regularly, at that age, they'll still develop a proper respect for living things and interest in snakes and other reptiles? I think the poster should give some serious re-thinking to his motives and concern for the reptiles, as well as the kids: A two year old or a five year old can barely be held responsible for what they do: But they may remember later if they harm a living thing accidentally at that age. Buy them stuffed snakes, for gosh sakes, and let them look at...even touch...but not handle the poster's snakes. We're talking adult responsibility here, not just to the snakes but to the kids. That's my take, anyway.
:TD

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]