kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Warning........please read, this could happen to your snake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by lpk3 on April 04, 2003 at 17:30:31:

I just wanted to post a warning for anyone who has a circular shaped humidity gauge (T-Rex brand) in their reptile vivarium.
My Sinaloan Milksnake almost suffocated itself on the guage's ring shaped double edged tape that sticks the guage to the glass. The snake managed to pry the gauge from the glass about half way then stuck it's head into the hole of the double edged tape and was stuck up against the glass and could not get itself loose. I was lucky I was still at home and not off to work if not the snake would have died for sure. I heard some sounds (sort of like velcro when it is pulled apart)and went to investigate and found my snake in a very dangerous situation. I pried the gauge off the glass while holding the snake with my other hand. The snake was pretty scared by this point and yanked it's head out of the hole and went into his hidespot. I checked on him this afternoon and he is a little scuffed, but healthy. I am glad it is still alive. I have had it since it was a baby and would really miss him if anything happened to it.

If you are going to use this type guage please do not use the tape to secure it to the glass leave it loose inside the vivarium, or better yet on top of the screen on the outside to avoid this problem.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]