kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: black milk feeding and substrate...HELP PLEASE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by Art MacAilin on March 19, 2003 at 12:54:01:

In Reply to: black milk feeding and substrate...HELP PLEASE posted by ballyhoo1887 on March 19, 2003 at 12:36:31:

I've had my black milks for over a year now and I've had a similar situation occur once.
I started mine on aspen and kept them there for about eight months or so. As is normal for a black milk they ate voraciously almost to the point of obesity (when you deal with picky eaters like balls, it's difficult to restrain yourself from overfeeding a snake that'll take anything you throw at it). When I built my racks I switched to newspaper. Neither of them liked it. They seemed jumpy and wouldn't eat well. The male ate one good meal and regurged. I switched them back to aspen and they ate the same day.
These snakes, like many others, seem to grow accustomed to routine. I've always taken them out of their aspen to eat in a clean cage, so they refuse to strike at anything while in their aspen. They don't take to change well.
In your case, I'd put the snake back on paper, give him a couple days to settle down, and offer food then. The breeders I've spoken to say black milks and just about the least troublesome snakes they've kept. I've never heard of a black milk with r.i., a picky feeder is the ultimate rarity, and so I'm sure your fella just misses his newspaper.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]