kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: PLEASE! Shed help question!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by jeph on March 17, 2003 at 13:23:35:

In Reply to: PLEASE! Shed help question!!! posted by tuumi on March 17, 2003 at 09:51:19:

First, do not leave it on, it can lead to some serious problems. When you say you peeked off all the skin except the first inch, I'm assuming the old skin is still on the head and neck area and around the eyes ?, if so, that is the hardest places to get it from, the best way to remove it from the eyes-(I'm not saying this is the best way, but the way I've done it before) is to wet the end of a q-tip with some warm water, very gentlly rub in a circular motion around the eye till it starts to come off, sometimes it might take a few trys, if after a few minutes-( which could get frustrating if the snake keeps trying to get away and you dont get a good try at it) wait another day or so before trying it again. As for the head and neck area, let him soak-(as you said you've done before) for about 30-40 minutes in a shoe box container with warm water, and try to remove it after wards, it might take a little whilr but try as hard as you can to get it off, I've never had a snake have old skin on it for more than a couple days but I've heard that old skin can be a cause for a mite out-break. Well good and I hope this helps you.
Jeff Teel

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]