kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: How does the 'Hybino' gene work...?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by rtdunham on March 15, 2003 at 13:58:41:

In Reply to: How does the 'Hybino' gene work...? posted by OneSexyWookie on March 15, 2003 at 03:43:42:

your questions are sound, it is confusing to anticipate whether the hybinos will look just like albinos, because the hypo gene contributes no additional change visually
OR
whether there are further affects to be considered. For example, on amelanistics what would be black tipping on a "normal" or wild type, is white tipping. Hypos get less tipping than wild types and their colors darken less with age. Some wild types get so much black tipping, and some albinos so much white tipping, that the middle ring in each triad is obscured and they become "bicolors". I've never seen a hypo become a "bicolor". So maybe hybinos will get less white tipping and their colors will fade less as they age. Maybe. The snake in this picture is my breeder male that's at LEAST definite het/hypo, and may actually BE a hybino: NO tipping, and no color fading.

We'll better understand the hybino when we can view animals we KNOW are hybinos, and to the best of my knowledge there is no known hybino yet (do a search on this forum if you want to read more about hybinos). So how do we ID a known hybino? Two ways:

First, produce babies that HAVE to be hybinos (from hypo het/albino x hypo het/albino, for example, the 25% that are albinos HAVE TO BE hypo as well, so are hybinos; that breeding probably won't be done for the first time til next year...if anyone knows anyone who can do it this year, let us know about it.)

OR, Second, identify a baby from a different pairing (from double-het hybino x double het hybino, for examlple) as being a hybino. That can only be done by test breeding, and I'm continuing this year to test the male in the picture, a process i began last year but without enough data points to draw a conclusion (bred x a hypo he produced two babies, both of which were hypos; that proved he was at least het, but until he goes ten-for-ten or something like that, for hypo babies from a hypo mate, it's too soon to conclude he's a hybino).

Once we've got known hybinos, we can observe carefully for diffs between them and non-hybinos.

It IS important that you remember there is NO hybino gene. Thinking that way will only get you in trouble, though you subsequently acknowledge you're talking about hypo & albino genes. I urge you to always talk about the double-morph, or animal that combines TWO morphs, whatever. You'd be amazed how many people come up with pretty startling (and wrong) predictions of breeding results because they calculate it as though it's simply "het/hybino x het/hybino" when it's NOT!

terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]