kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: another key bit of advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by rtdunham on February 24, 2003 at 11:57:15:

In Reply to: Re: another key bit of advice posted by blueharlequin on February 23, 2003 at 00:21:11:

:...perhaps I'm increasing the size of the prey items too quickly? My smallest snake (hatched in Sept.'02) is currently eating a medium sized fuzzy every fourth day or so. Would feeding pinkies at a higher frequency serve her growth rate better?

I'm not a fan of feeding extra-large food items to snakes for the amusement of their owners, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. I like to feed a food item that shows in the snake after it's eaten, but that doesn't end up with the "pig in a python" look. I know what's about as non-specific as our length estimates!!!!

Anyway, most breeders are happy when their snakes move to the next logical food size (maybe half again as big around as the snake's head, or about hte size of the snake's body at its largest diameter) and are frustrated when a snake capable of larger food wants to keep eating numerous but very small pinkies instead. I suspect the somewhat larger items are a little more nutritious too, more calcium (bone), more fur, whatever. But that's a seat-of-the-pants analysis, not scientific. Just be sure that if you're feeding something big enough to bite, feed it dead. Don't put your snake at risk. That's one reason i'm happy when hondurans switch from mouse hoppers to rat pinks or fuzzies, they can get a larger food item without risk of biting. I'd MUCH rather feed a 25 or 30 gram rat fuzzy than a mouse of the same size.

peace
terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]