kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

what if they are frozen first?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by ballyhoo1887 on February 17, 2003 at 10:35:26:

In Reply to: Re: feeder snakes...safe? posted by Bigtattoo on February 17, 2003 at 08:26:04:

I'm not saying that I would go catch a bunch of snakes and freeze them, but would it kill the parasites and be safe to feed to a snake if they were frozen first? BTW, I heard somewhere that redbellies and brown snakes don't carry parasites, (not sure why). I feed my scarlets small snakes like that, along with anoles, and there has never been a problem. I know a guy who has plenty of frozen snakes and that's why I asked.

-Mack

:I agree with hotshot, don't do it. I did this with my kings waaaaay back when I first got started (30 years ago) and I'm sure that it was the demise of at least 2 of my snakes. Since this was back in ancient times little was known or available about breeding let alone concerns about parasites or such a thing as a herp vet. I was young, dumb and full of something and thought it would be cool to feed snakes to my kings. Since I knew of a garter snake hibernaculum they were easy to come by in the spring. Just not a good idea.

:BigT

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]