kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

new leo addict with a couple questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by daFrimpster on May 12, 2003 at 16:17:26:

In Reply to: new leo addict with a couple questions posted by wahberee on May 12, 2003 at 12:21:09:

The lady I got them from says she has laid eggs 4 times before so this isn't her first clutch. She weighed 59gm and he 54gm when I got them. I have seen the statement here that single clutches that aren't first clutches could be an indication of health problems. As much as I would enjoy seeing her reproduce, her health is my main concern. The eggs that were laid before I got her were left in the cage on calcisand. I am sure the sand sucked all the moisture out of the eggs. The one egg I have seen spent it's first 4 days in a tupperware (sealed except for small air hole) with moist vermiculite in the warmer part of the cage until I had time to set up an incubator using the old 10 gal aquarium bricks and tank heater method I learned right here. The egg never firmed up at all and after a couple weeks started to smell really bad which, i have read, is an indication of infertility. I have a copy of the Leopard Gecko manual on it's way to me. I hope it arrives soon... Thanks for the quick response and interest!
daFrimpster

:well first off,
:Is the male significantly smaller then the female??? If so, the male might be intimidated by her and he may feel like he is inferior so he won't try to mate with her. Mating in leo's is not a pleasant thing to watch, the male is ussually VERY aggressive, and will bite the female, sometimes even making her bleed. How did you incubate the eggs?? If only one egg was laid, she is probably a first time breeder, so it wouldn't come as a suprise to be infertile.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]