kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Why would anyone incubate at 80°? More...I would suggest to

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by Starling on May 12, 2003 at 13:14:47:

In Reply to: I've tried it on 3 eggs and there were no problems.......... posted by bradley on May 11, 2003 at 20:11:41:

I hear a lot of people saying they incubate for females at 80° and I just don't get it. I incubate at 82-84° for female, usually closer to 83-84°, I get bright beautiful vivid albinos in about 42 days, have NEVER produced a male or a brown albino at these temps, and I don't have to mess with the incubation process.

I began incubating at this temp before I knew about the effects of low incubation temps on albinos, I did it because I knew I could get females that way and they would incubate faster.

I would suggest to anyone worried about egg mortality by changing temps, don't even mess with Tremper's method, you can get beautiful fenmale albinos at 82-84. And even if you do want to try Tremper's method, start at 82-84, not 80...there will be less of a temp change/shock to your eggs, and you'll still get females.

:during incubation, nor anything wrong with the babies. I have asked the large scale breeders who use this method and they have not seen an unusual amount of deformeties or eggs going bad.

:I use two incubators, one at 80F and one at 90F. After two weeks at 80F, I move them to the 90F for the rest of the incubation period. Thats basically all I did. Although I only incubated 3 eggs, I'm confident that when I incubate more of them I will not see any unusual amount of deformities or good eggs going bad.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]