kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Just because...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by Starling on May 11, 2003 at 14:43:39:

In Reply to: I offer a variety....... posted by UrgentMike on May 11, 2003 at 13:13:23:

the gecko has been checked by a vet sometime this year DOES NOT mean a new problem cannot develop at any time. If he is on any kind of graular substrate you need to consider the POSSIBILITY of impaction. It's also possibility he's picked up a case of worms. Even healthy geckos kept singly will get worms from time to time if you feed them crickets, a round of panacur won't hurt him if it's been over 6 months since his last deworming, or if he has any sign of runny stools.

Do you have a thermometer in the tank? Are the temps still correct? If geckos are too cold they won't eat.

Does he have all the stuff he needs? (e.g. safe-feeling hide spots, calcium, water, food, adequate space and hides?) Any new things in his environment that might cause stress? (e.g. has enclosure moved to a naoisy place, new enclosure, new gecko in tank, etc..)

That being said, sometimes full grown perfectly healthy leos go without food for two weeks, usually this is in the colder winter months though.

Do you know what his Favorite food is? Waxworms? Crickets? Mealies? Try feeding him his favorite food to see if he will eat at least a little. Waxworms are irresistible to most leos.

If he is on a granular substrate put him on paper towels, try giving him a few warm baths. I would think it would not hurt to administer a small amount- .3 cc's or so, of olive oil orally to try to loosen any mild obstruction- but then I am not a vet, I just don't see how that could hurt as a one-time thing. If it doesn't pass through and he still doesn't eat he may need to see a vet.

If he is not on a granular substrate (don't forget that vermiculite used in a moist hide is granular and often ingested), and you don't think impaction is a possibility, and he still won't eat, you can try squeezing some mealie guts on his mose and see if he will lick it off. The idea is to get him to ingest enough to pass a stool so you can see if it is runny, and also to get him back in the habit of eating again.

:He gets to select from mealies, butterworms, crickets and lobster roaches. He has shown no interest in ANY food for 2 weeks. Hes not losing any weight, but it still worries me. This is the longest hes ever gone w/out food.
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]