kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Are they fat??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by Leo_6055 on May 10, 2003 at 20:03:19:

In Reply to: Are they fat?? posted by breakfastatme on May 10, 2003 at 19:19:28:

First of all that gecko looks very healthy and fat. His reg. tail is kinda strange looking (they usually grow out with a tip) and w/ a reg. tail it is really hard to tell how fat the tail would be if s/he hadn't lost it.

I would recommend that you take them off of sand esspecially if they are juvinilles. Apparently they are not impacted but there is still a risk. You can use paper towel, repti-carpet, slate/tile, or other non-ingestibale substrate.

The way i feed all my geckos is start out by feeding them 10 mealies and see how many are left in the morning. If they are all gone I increase it to 15. so if you are feeding 15 mealies a night and their arenone left over thatn i would recommend increasing it until their are some left in the morning constantly. That way esp. w/ 2 geckos you are sure everyone got as much as they wanted.

As far as the 2 geckos go (i'm assumming that gecko lost it's tail in a fight, if that is not the case than ignore this paragraph!) I would make sure they are not fighting and you are 150% sure they are not both males. If they are both females (or male & female) make sure that 1 is not hogging the food. And that they are in at least a 20L.

I really hope this helps. And as far as the sand it is totally your decision and Some people use it no prbl;em, but i myself had a juv. get impacted and trust me it is expensive and not fun at all. I ended up having to hand feed her baby food 3 months after she past the sand!

If you ahve any more q's just post and we wil be glad to help!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]