kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Explanation: Deformities Using Tremper Incubation Method

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by froggied on May 09, 2003 at 02:08:04:

In Reply to: Explanation: Deformities Using Tremper Incubation Method posted by LeosAnonymous on May 08, 2003 at 10:22:26:

I'm a Microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, chemistry major (also undergraduate researcher specializing in reporductive biology).

I have some insight that might prove helpful? Again, this is only from my education, and I don't claim to be an expert. If need be, I will do some more digging into the subject. I'm new to this forum (I don't actually own any leopards, just doing research before getting my group in).

Many organisms that tolerate a gradient of temps have what is called a heat shock gene. It has been discovered that many reptiles, mammals, some microbes, and birds all have this gene. This gene switches on when many other genes have to switch off due to being denatured by the temperature. An example of this is found in E. coli which has a heat shot protien. This allows this specific mutant of E. coli's DNA to survive BOILING! Once the dead bacterium are exposed to nonmutant E.coli, they can recover the DNA through transformation and they become the "mutant" E.coli without any gentic malformities found normal denatured DNA.

Having said that, there is also evidence to show that many organisms (although this is fairly unsubstantiated), particularly humans, use heat to determine amount of pigmentation will be found. Hence the theory that humans came from africa (allowing for blacks), and traveling north (allowing for whites). These morphs in humans, gives some evidence that MAY heat causes melination. (THIS PARAGRAPH ISN"T TO BE TAKEN AS A RACIST REMARK)

So I would venture a guess that geckos might be more brightly colored to help reflect some of that nasty desert sun during times of hot. (as you recalled he mentioned on his webpage, that if exposed to cold temps, the lizard body color also decreased) This would seem to coincide with this theory, since, as temperatures in thier geological region decreases, the need for bright coloration for reflective purpose is no longer needed, and ought to be traded for darker colors. The only problem with this idea is that leopards are mostly nocturnal.

Hehe Let me know if you think I am incorrect, I haven't read the other posts, and I won't have time to do so until tuesday. Until then Thanks. David. (I will read the responces to my post however).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]