kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

jumping gecko & 2 close calls

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]

Posted by geeboo on May 06, 2003 at 23:27:39:

In Reply to: jumping gecko & 2 close calls posted by stickb0y7 on May 06, 2003 at 23:08:11:

yep they can climb remarkably well for looking so clumbsy when they walk. I would go with a UTH too myself I use a heat lamp with mine in the winter but take it out in the spring I just don't care too much for heat bulbs they like belley heat mostly. If it works for you though cool. You can put it on a screen top just as long as the bulb don't touch the screen.

:i discovered this week that my gecko can escape from his 20L. one afternoon i went to my room to look for something, and i moved aside my cd storage case, and there was geckosan, sitting on the floor almost under my bed. he didn't look hurt at all but was a little scared when i picked him up. so i moved all the tall things away from the sides of the habitat and moved the cords for the sensor probes so they weren't in the corner; i figured he climbed up one of the cords.
:the next day, i was going to check on him to see if he escaped again, and he did! this time i saw him sitting on the floor right beside the stand that the aquarium is on. ok, the edges of the aquarium are about a foot tall, plus it's sitting 18" off the floor. so depending on whether he fell all the way to the floor or hit the shelf first, he fell 2.5 feet, or 1 foot, then 1.5 feet.... twice! not wanting to take anymore chances, i took everything out of his habitat that wasn't necessary, and now the tallest thing is 3.5 inches and is directly in the middle. also i've put a border around the top to make it harder to grab the edge. i guess a screen top would make sense, but i was worried about putting a heat lamp on it, if it would be a hazard.
:anyway, he hasn't escaped since then, but i've seen him climb to the top of the log in the center and look up at the edge and take a flying leap. i'm suprised he hasn't seriously hurt himself yet, but he seems ok. i think he's jumped 6 inches in the air or more, so be warned if you don't have a top on your gecko habitat.

:~jason

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Leopard Gecko Forum ]