kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Have any boids other than burms and retics killed anyone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by SnakeFreak on March 16, 2003 at 16:31:10:

In Reply to: Need info on deaths from exotic versus domestic animals posted by SnakeFreak on March 16, 2003 at 15:07:16:

:I need info for a school paper comparing diseases caught from reptiles and other "exotics" versus "domestics" such as cats, dogs and rodents, especially hamsters and gerbils. I would prefer actual statistics from well known and reliable sources, as I've found some stuff on salmonella, but the total number of cases each year in the US varies considerably. The estimate that seems the most accurate is 40,000 total cases, but I've also found estimates of 93,000 total cases and 40,000 cases caused just by reptiles. I also need info on deaths in the US caused by attacks from "exotics" such as snakes, large monitors, large cats such as tigers, and wolves and wolf hybrids versus those caused by "domestics" such as dogs, other companion animals, and horses. I was also wondering how long "exotics", such as cornsnakes and other commonly kept reptiles, have been kept and bred in captivity compared to commonly kept small animals, such as hamsters, guinea pigs and gerbils. I think hamsters and gerbils began to be kept in captivity around 1950/1960. Lastly I was wondering whether there have been any incidences where large snakes have escaped the property on which they were kept and killed or seriously injured anyone. On a similar note, have there been any fatal snake attacks where the victim did not provoke the snake or do something stupid, such as handling a prey item then handling the snake or feeding the snake in a room and staying in the room to watch ? I heard about a guy in New York that was killed by his 13 foot burm. He took the snake across the street,bought a live chicken, carried it and the burm back across the street, and let the burm and the chicken loose in a room and stayed to watch. The snake apparently mistook him for the chicken and killed him.

:Have any boids other than burms and retics killed anyone in the US? Also, is it true that nonvenomous snakes don't become a threat until they reach about 8-10 feet? A lot of places are banning boa constrictors, saying that they are extremely dangerous, but I've never heared of anyone being killed by a boa. Also are ball pythons even physically capable of killing an adult?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]