kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Everyone wants to pass the buck. WHAT ABOUT RESPONSIBILITY?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by tj on January 14, 2003 at 10:09:24:

In Reply to: Um sorry, but pet stores should give baisc care info. posted by Mario-GN on January 10, 2003 at 11:46:55:

" People do not realize what is involved in the care of these animals. They are simply looking for a pet. People that are too
busy to find information elsewhere."
> That's half the problem, people want what they want and they want it right then and there. If you don't have the time to devote to researching the animal you want to purchase, then A) YOU'RE NOT GOING TO HAVE THE TIME TO DEVOTE TO THE ANIMAL and B) YOU'RE TOO FREAKING IRRESPONSIBLE TO KEEP THE ANIMAL YOU'RE GOING TO PURCHASE. SO the answer is YES it is up to you to educate yourself and to take the time to learn how to care for the animal. Unless you're not a responsible keeper, and in that case, I'm most likely to see your goldfish swimming around in my lake, or your python hanging out in the Everglades. I don't think that Lyle is way out there at all, actually he seems as though he is one of the few who doesn't want someone else to take responsibility for his actions.

I just got done reading all the replies. I must say, Lyle, you really seem out their.
:I’m sorry you don’t agree with who should be responsible for providing the information to care for your customers pet’s and considering them stupid people. So who’s responsibility is it to educate them? Mine? No, but he sellers. Actually I do provide a care site to help other’s care for their geckos. And I’m just a hobbyist breeder. I feel that it is the responsibility of the seller to inform the customer how to care for the animal, at least provide basic care info. A pet isn’t some toy that can sit on the self, or a pair of new mittens. It’s a living creature. Something that depends on the caretaker to provide it with proper husbandry. Now obviously the keeper isn’t going to magically know how to care for the animal, but does need someone to show or tell them how. People do not realize what is involved in the care of these animals. They are simply looking for a pet. People that are too busy to find information elsewhere. So where are they going to resort to get this info? From the place that sells them this pet. While I don’t agree with the law (or at least the proposals for the law that I seen), I do think it’s the responsibility of the seller to inform the buyer how to care for it. What if you had to give up your family dog you loved and cared for for 7 years? Would you simply give it away to someone without saying a word on how to care for it or seeing if the person knew how to care for it? No you wouldn’t. Atleast I hope you wouldn’t. Why, because you care about the dog. But what about that lizard, snake, or dog in the pet store you sell to someone. Why should that be any different. You do want the animal to live don’t you? OR are you just after the bottom line, the profit? Do you just want the pet to die so they can come back and buy a replacement in a month or two? That sounds like greed to me. As far as products not having care sheets, your right. Product’s generally do not have care requirements. Products do not die in pain. But products do have directions, instructions, and warnings. Animals don’t. So it’s the responsibility of the owner. So if you don’t think it’s the sellers responsibility, who’s is it? Someone’s got to inform them. It’s not anyone else’s responsibility unless they are involved with the animal in some way. Well the only person generally involved is the pet store. So it’s your responsibility. Not anyone else’s. You should be thankful there are people like me providing informational sites to educate people on how to care for their pet because the pet store doesn’t take the time or responsibility to do so. This is cost’s me time and money. And you’re the one making the money selling the animal.
:If the pet stores selling an animal, they should know how to care for that animal. After all, they have to care for it until it sells. But no, after reading your post’s, it wouldn’t surprise me if your like most pet stores and just throughout the dead ones and not worry about the care of that animal until it sells, just so you can make a profit. At all cost’s. That’s what supplies are for. This is why most breeders do this as a hobby. Because by the time we sold that animal, we provided more in cost to raise it. Why? Because pet stores want to get it for the cheapest price at all cost’s. It don’t matter how that animal was kept or if its in perfect health, but if it’s a few dollars less, let’s get it from them.
:It’s sad to see the care of animals in most pet stores. Because they don’t want to spend money on it. That’s a real shame.
:Iv’e went into pet stores and they don’t even know what kind of animal they are selling or how to even care for it. I’m sorry put this is wrong. Things do need to change.
:What if you were that little pet. Would you want to be sold to someone that doesn’t know how to care for you? I doubt it.
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]