kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What a tear-jerker...If I had one to give you, I would!! np

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by Sybella on May 14, 2003 at 03:40:19:

In Reply to: I failed at kingsnake ownership, i guess i really screwed up posted by -ryan- on May 10, 2003 at 20:32:56:

:It's not like the snake died, or got injured or anything, I just had to get rid of him. It was a while ago, when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade (I'm in 9th grade now), but it has been bothering me lately, because my parents finally let me have another reptile (my almost adult bearded dragon Sidney), so I have been in and out of the petshops and herp places and everything getting stuff for him. Today it really got to me. I was at a petshop getting crickets, and I saw they had a little desert kingsnake (the one I had, named sparky, was a desert kingsnake), and it made me remember him, and made me think "how could I have been so afraid of him, he was just trying to intimidate me". I don't know why, it was just once we got him home and in his cage (which was front-opening, probably the biggest mistake we made, because it would have been a lot easier for us to get him out if we just had like a 10 gallon aquarium). When we were at the store and bought him, the guy opened up the little rubbermaid shoebox thing he was in (in a rack system) and without any hesitation, I reached in and picked him up, and he curled up in my fingers and I had to have him. I think the main reason I started being afraid of him was because my dad seemed so afraid of him. He was only about a foot long when I got him, and if we had tamed him, he would be a nice big guy by now.

:So anyways, seing all of these nice kingsnakes every where I go, I have begun to want one again, but I don't think my parents will ever let another snake into the house again. I know at my age now that I would be able to handle him, since I wouldn't be afraid of him biting me or anything, so the only thing holding me back is my parents. I have a spare 10 gallon tank, and a spare heat lamp. So all I would need is a screen top and some furnishings.

:I don't know why I even posted this, because I know there is so little chance I will ever have a snake living in my parents house again. I have just always wanted a snake, and then when I got one, it was obviously too early. I was thinking I might just have my mom or dad take me to the petshop to get crickets (instead of my brother) and ask to hold one of the little babies, and let them hold it too to see how harmless our "little monster" was.

:I don't know. It's just been so hard for me ever since I had to get rid of the snake (since 5th grade) last summer the feeling stopped (well not really stopped, I just kind of suppressed it) because my parents said I could get the bearded dragon (I convinced them by showing them my friend's), and I love the little guy so so much. I am probably going to be getting him a big enclosure sometime this year (4'x2'x2'). But now I am still getting bummed out that I blew my (probably) only chance at ever having a snake, just because my parents let me have it when I was young).

:Well, I just had to get this off my chest. If you have any suggestions as to how to maybe just get over the whole snake thing, since chances are I will never be allowed to have one again, it would be great. I just have been having these thoughts and feelings going through my head since I had to get rid of my little snake, and before that all I thought about was getting the snake. Maybe I picked the wrong snake? No, it was my fault. The main thing I was worried about, since it was a front-opening cage, was that he would slither through the door while we were trying to get him out, fall to the ground, and go hide (he was really really fast).

:well, that's about all for now.

:later

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]