kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I think Im ready, I don't think my parents are though....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by -ryan- on May 12, 2003 at 20:52:33:

I think I am ready to get back into the world of snakes. I just don't think my parents are though. I think my mom thinks something is up though, since I put the spare aquarium up on my shelf with a couple of spare branches in it, and today I even put a rubber snake in it. Plus every once in a while I say something like "I wish I could get something to fill that 10 gallon aquarium", and today I also hinted to my mom that I want her to come to the petshop when we go to get crickets (my excuse was that my brother never lets me stick around to look at the reptiles). So I think I can get her to come, and then I can show her some of the snakes, and handle a couple of them. I know a lot of you are thinking "why don't you just tell your parents you want a snake". Well, in a post below I talk about how I used to have a snake, but I was too young and my parents are afraid of snakes for some reason, so he just got more and more aggressive until we finally ended up selling him back to the breeder, who is probably still using him as breeding stock.

I still know it would take a lot to get my parents to change their mind's about the whole snake thing. I guess what they say goes though. I think I saw something on one of these forums about another person going through a similar thing, and people gave him anice list of reasons as to why snakes make a good pet. The only thing I would be worried about is making sure the cage is secure at all times. I have seen some pretty good ideas for that though too. If a snake ever did get out in the house, 1.My mom would not come home until we found it (most likely), 2.I would be worried about the cat getting to it.

I also think it would be nice to get bitten by and adult kingsnake beforehand, just so I know what to expect if (when it happens). I have been bitten by a ratsnake before, but it was young and it didn't even peirce the skin. I don't think a snakebite by a colubrid could hurt as much as getting bitten HARD by a medium sized dog, or cutting halfway through your finger trying to open a can of dogfood (both of which happened to me. Seven stitches in one finger, just from a can of dogfood).

Well, I guess I'll just have to see what happens. If I can't get a little kingsnake or cornsnake, I will still have my bearded dragon, and the rest of my pets.

later

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]