kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Kids and Kings, HELP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by OneSexyWookie on May 11, 2003 at 12:46:07:

In Reply to: Kids and Kings, HELP!!! posted by KevinM on May 10, 2003 at 23:23:59:

I really believe, if done properly, the 6 year old will not be a problem. However, 2 years olds, I think, are too young to handle a snake on their own. They don't seem to have full awareness of the action-consequence relationship yet and may end up doing something that puts either themselves or the sanke at risk for injury.

I introduced my nephew to my King when he was 6, and I felt the snake was big enough to 'handle' himself. I think that hatchlings are way too fragile to be handled by kids so young, and in fact most adults if they don't be careful.

What I did was explain as much as I could about the snake and how to behave around him - don't make sudden movements or he'll make sudden movements, don't pull on anything, don't squeeze, those sorts of things. I think most 6 year olds can comprehend these simple instructions, that 2 year old may not grasp. He was allowed to hold the snake in a manner which wouldn't harm either participant - hands cupped/palms open, calm disposition(he had already petted the snake while in my hands so he wasn't nervous about them) and let the snake go wherever he wants to go, and don't ever try to control his movents or force him to do something. If he(my nephew) ever showed any signs of nervousness or distressed(he never did) I was prepared to take to snake back. I never had any problems since doing this. Supervivion is a must, but that goes without saying - he is now almost 8 and I still watch him closely.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]