kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Turf

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by DeadFrog on May 02, 2003 at 03:24:18:

In Reply to: Turf posted by oldherper on May 01, 2003 at 23:44:17:

A couple of things:

I like feeding live prey, and the sand was filling up with mouse feces, so the turf would actually be better to disinfect under those parameters. It was impossible to separate the tiny feces from the sand. Sort of a dilemma for me.

I dunno about newspaper. I am worried about the ink. Am I wrong?

I think I may try construction paper perhaps.

:Some snakes are going to go under the substrate no matter what you put in there, newspaper, shavings, astroturf, whatever. I think a lot of snakes just don't like the way Astro turf feels on their bellies. I don't like Astro turf for the simple reason that it is next to impossible to effectively disinfect, and mites and ticks and other external parasites can make a comfy little home in it. I prefer newspaper. It isn't the aesthetically pleasing substrate but it is very functional. Plus, you can tape it down on the sides with some scotch tape if burrowing under it is a problem.

:

::So my snake has been in the new larger tank for a few days now, but it seems as though she still doesn't like her new substrate: turf. She spends a lot of energy trying to wedge between it and the glass to get underneath the carpet, which she eventually succeeds. Doesn't like the cave in the warm spot or the hide in the cool spot, only under the turf. I really like the turf and also do not want to glue it down, so I can retain the ability to remove it for cleaning. What do I do?

::Mark

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]