kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Scarlet King HELP!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by crimsonking on April 19, 2003 at 14:42:51:

In Reply to: Re: Scarlet King HELP!!!!!! posted by blueselaphe on April 17, 2003 at 21:49:08:

:::I have a few Scarlet King babies that won't eat anyting!!!What would be good for them if i don't have small lizards. I heard that they will eat small worms... Any info would be helpful.. Thanks, Blue blueselaphe@yahoo.com

::: First some questions: How old are these snakes? Where are you located? How did you get them? Are they c.b.? W.c.? Scarlet kings are notorious skink eaters and would love one (or parts of) above most else. S.e. 5 lined, and ground skinks are usually easy to get. If you cannot colleect them, some are available from classifieds. Contact me for more info,care sheet,etc. and I'll try to help if I can.
:::Mark

::Mark, The ones I'm haveing trouble with are hatchlings. My adults feed like a young miami corn, I just thaw out the pinks in hot water with an Anole in the cup, humainly dispatched fo course..... It's the babies that are getting me worried. I'm going to try to find a few ground skinks but any other hints, tips or care conciderations would be most helpful.. Thanks, Blue..
::

:I'd do the same type of thing really for the babies. That is, if you do not have a baby anole or skink to use. Take the tail of the anole you have and mash it up to a paste, rub the paste over a "drumstick" from a pinkie. Or try just the drumstick first with no scent. It worked for me last night with a fresh caught yearling. I use a large skink all year like that, taking only a pinch of tail now and then. I just collected some skinks today in anticipation of any problems with my hatchlings this year. You may have to feed babies lizard tails or parts to get them eating something before they get too thin.
:Mark
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]