kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Please help me!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]

Posted by jusmebabe on April 13, 2003 at 19:09:33:

In Reply to: Please help me!!! posted by robdickson on April 13, 2003 at 18:47:27:

:Someone has just bought me a California King snake for my birthday. I am very excited but very nervous as I do not know anything about the recomended setup or care. I just bought a 40 gallon aquarium and some aspen for the substrate. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you...

You didn't state what size it is so i will generalize. Keep temps(ambiant) between 75-85F. You can use aspen, newspaper,and anything else with the acception of cypress (deadly). The size of mice you use depends on size of your kingsnake. Pinkies, fuzzies, hoopers, and adult mice. A 40 gallon is fine for an adult but i personally have mine (babies) in a rubbermaid or sterilte box. Keep a hide box on the cool end and the warm side. A water bowl for soaking and drinking and to get humidity up during shed. Make sure you have a secure top (not a book or brick) as they are good at escaping. Feed babies about every 4-5 days and adults every seven until you find out your snakes eating habits. You can use a heat lamp or heat pad. With the heat pad make sure to use a rheo stat to control temp as they can get hot. That's about it good luck and enjoy they are nice (at least banded kingsnakes lol).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Kingsnake Forum ]